So I haven't been doing much "official" exercise, like running, working out, or whatever it is people do to exercise... but, I have been spending at least 30 minutes a day, pretty much everyday, gardening. This includes crawling around my lawn on my hands and knees picking weeds, transplanting vegetables, digging holes, turning soil, planting seeds, and what have you. Its movement, it keeps me active, and I think it should count for something. I'm certainly not spending my days sitting in front of the TV eating Oreos and watching reality television. But sometimes I wish I were.
Another thing I've started doing is getting up a little earlier everyday to devote 20 minutes to full body stretching. I also try to stretch before bed. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. But I have noticed that I feel better throughout the day, and I'm not having as much back pain as I had been recently. I think that had something to do with all the lawn crawling I've been doing. And bonus! my fat pants are loosening up again!
Week of Mar 21- Mar 27
- Sunday - Went for a short walk with the family after lunch and then worked in the garden for oh, 3 hours or so. Nothing too vigorous, but noteworthy, because all I really wanted to do was lay on the couch!
Week of Mar 7-Mar 13
- Wednesday - yes! I turned soil in the garden for an hour. It felt good to sweat.
- Friday - Turning soil again for an hour and a half.
- Saturday - Turned soil, pulled weeds, and planted a little bit of my garden... for 5 hours! Whew! I'm tired!
Week of Feb 21-Feb 27
- Monday - Turned soil in the garden for about an hour and a half! It's not jogging, but it's definately work!!
- Tuesday - Turned soil in the garden for about an hour.
- Thursday - I turned soil in the garden for about an hour. It made me use my muscles and caused me to sweat, so I'm calling it exercise!
- If anyone out there is keeping tabs on me, I feel the need to explain myself. My lack of activity is due partly to circumstance and partly to falling off the wagon. These past few weeks have been unfavorable for exercise. I've had sick kids, a stressed out husband, and I've been playing nurse for a few weeks now. Granted, I've had a handful of days that I could have used for exercise, but darn it, I just didn't feel like it. But I will!! As soon as this family is at 80 percent recovery, I can justify taking some time for myself to get back out there. For now, I'm waiting...
Week of 24-30
- Monday - Wednesday - I want to go jogging! But everytime I get the opportunity its dark and foggy outside. Call me paranoid, but this doesn't seem safe. Waiting for a chance...
- Thursday - Sunday - sick kids. So much for this week.
- Monday - 35 minute jog - approx 3.2 miles, followed by a 15 minute power walk
- Wednesday - 30 minute walk around the neighborhood with the kids - it counts!!
- Thursday - 1 hour jog - approx 5 miles, followed by a 7 minute power walk
- Saturday - 27 minute jog - approx 2.4 miles