Friday, March 25, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Calzones

I was surprised at how well these turned out considering they started as a "cleaning out my pantry and using up my leftovers" kinda meal.  Everyone loved them.  I made a lot of them because I decided they would also be good picnic food for the next day's lunch.  Who doesn't like cold pizza, right?

I had some left over chicken breast that I needed to use so I chopped it up into bite size pieces.
To it, I added a can of sliced black olives (drained),
a can of diced green chiles,
some shredded jack cheese,

and some shredded mozzarella cheese.

I gave it a good stir and set it off to the side.


Then I grabbed the blob of pizza dough that I had prepared earlier and divided it into eight equally sized pieces. 
You can use whatever kind of pizza dough you like, a mix, a store bought one, or a homemade one that you prepare yourself.  I made mine in the bread maker so that the dough would be ready at dinner time. 

One at a time, roll the dough out into a sort of circular shape. 
Don't be too picky about the shape.  You just need a nice, flat, surface.

Put some of the filling in the center of the dough.

Fold the dough over on itself

and, starting at one end, fold the edges of the dough in sections to seal it closed.
If you have any holes, just pinch them closed.

When all of your calzones are assembled, arrange them on a baking sheet

and bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.

These were really tasty.  Look at all that oozy cheese...

Perfect for an easy weeknight meal.

Chicken Enchilada Calzones Recipe
2 c. cooked chicken breast, diced
1 4 oz can sliced black olives
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
1 c. shredded jack cheese
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 pizza dough

Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl.  Divide pizza dough into eight equal pieces.  Roll each into a circular shape and fill with about 1/3-1/2 c. filling.  Fold dough over on itself and roll edges to seal.  Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment