Thursday, February 17, 2011

Brownies Baby!!

Brownies are my husband's favorite food of all time, I think.  He didn't say that.  I'm taking a leap, here.  Here's why:

1.  When I ask what kind of dessert I should make, his answer is always, "brownies."
2.  When I make brownies, he eats them.  ALL of them.
3.  If he doesn't get to eat the LAST brownie, he pouts.

I think I have a pretty good case.

I made these brownies last night and the girls and I polished off the last two while he was at work today.  Ten bucks says he has something to say about it when he gets home.  Double or nothing he demands more.

This is an Ina Garten recipe from way back.  I love Ina.  She makes good brownies.

Over a double boiler, melt some butter, then add 8 oz chocolate chips and some unsweetened baking chocolate.
  Stir it until its nice and smooth.  Take it off the heat just before its completely smooth so it doesn't overheat and burn. 

Set this to the side to cool a bit before proceeding to the next step.  Ten minutes should be plenty of time.   In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla, and sugar.

Now you need to add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture.  While the chocolate should be cool enough by now that it won't cook the eggs, do this slowly to warm the eggs gradually, just in case.
Stir this well. 

Add the flour, baking powder, and salt.  (Generally, the dry ingredients should be sifted together in a separate bowl before adding to the wet mixture.  Sometimes I do that and sometimes I don't.  Depends on what I'm making and how I feel at the moment.)
Give that a good stir.  No lumps here.  You want it to be nice and smooth.  In a small bowl, toss together the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips (and nuts, if you like them in your brownies) and the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour.


You're going to add these to your brownie batter.  Tossing them with flour prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the batter.  They should remain relatively evenly suspended in the batter as it cooks.

Just mix those in gently.
Pour this batter into a greased and floured baking pan...

 ...and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so. 

These are delicious and goey, and rich, and addicting!

Brownies

8 oz butter
8 oz + 1 cup of chocolate chips
3 0z unsweetened baking chocolate
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 c. + 2 tbsp sugar
1/2 c + 2 tbsp flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c nuts (optional)

Follow the directions above and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment