Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Breakfast Tacos


I have a small problem.  No one else in the universe has this same problem, I'm sure of it.  But I'll tell you all about it just in case this problem should ever arise in your lifetime.  Ready?  Here it is...




MY KIDS ARE PICKY EATERS.


I know.  Its unheard of.  I'm so embarrassed. 

Let me fill you in on a few details of my particular situation. 

 JULIA
Likes - carbs of any form, all dairy products, vanilla, tacos, hamburgers
Dislikes - peanut butter and jelly,  yogurt with fruit chunks, anything not smooth in texture, anything remotely spicy

SAMMY
Likes - meat, broccoli, chocolate, apple juice, prunes, chicken nuggets
Dislikes - bread, peanut butter and jelly, yogurt with fruit chunks, food wrappings of any sort (i.e. tortillas, hamburger buns, etc.)

At a glance, it doesn't look too bad, but I can assure you, things can get ugly.  Its so difficult to come up with something to prepare that doesn't contain some item on one of the "dislike" lists.  If Sammy likes it, Julia doesn't.  Or vice versa.  Talk about frustrating. 

Now the rule is this:  You Don't Have To Like It, You Just Have To Eat It. 

And I make no exceptions.  If its on their plates, they must try it.  Depending on how mean I'm feeling during that meal, I may make them eat everything or only the things they like. 

Today I managed to come up with something new... that everyone liked... and everyone ate... HALLELUJAH!!

Brown up some breakfast sausage patties.
And fry up some taco shells.

Grate some cheddar cheese.

And scramble some eggs.

Tear the sausage patties into small pieces.

Now build a taco.  Sausage first, followed by egg on top, followed by cheese on top of that. 
Had I the foresight to anticipate making this dish more than three seconds before I actually did it, I would have added some bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, or some other omelet-y veggie to the eggs while they were cooking just to get some veggies in there.  But I didn't.  So I didn't.  But there's always next time.   Maybe. 

I'm so prepared. 

Breakfast Tacos
makes 8 tacos
1/2 lb breakfast sausage
8 corn tortillas, fried into taco shells
4 eggs, scrambled
1/3 c. shredded cheese, any kind you like
1/3 c. fresh veggies or
1/3 c. salsa

1 comment: