Sunday, January 30, 2011

Mayan Hot Cocoa

One of my favorite winter drinks is hot cocoa.  I came up with this recipe when I decided to take a break from the normal hot cocoa mix I would usually turn to.  I like hot cocoa mix.  Its easy, it tastes good, and its reliable.  It always tastes the same.  But I was feeling like I needed some change in my life, and since I haven't won the lottery and I don't like dying my hair, I resided to changing my hot cocoa.  I'm dangerous.  Dangerous, I tell you.  This cocoa has a bit of a bite.  And I like it. 


In a medium sized saucepan with the heat OFF, combine cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper. 

Add about half a cup of milk and stir with a fork to mix.  This could take a little effort as cocoa powder doesn't easily combine with liquid.  Keep at it, it'll happen, eventually.

Once the mixture is mostly smooth in texture, add the rest of the milk and stir in the vanilla. 



Now, turn the stove on to medium-low heat and stir frequently to prevent the milk from burning.  DO NOT BOIL the cocoa.  Turn the heat off when you notice the cocoa is starting to froth at the surface.  It should be the perfect temperature for drinking. 

This will warm you right up.  Give it a try. 

Mayan Hot Cocoa Recipe
makes 2 servings
2 1/2 c milk
2 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
1/2 pinch of cayenne pepper (or more, if you can take it)
1 tsp vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment